Native Claims Settlement Act
Please complete each answer carefully. This is the final exam for the unit on ANCSA.
I. Multiple Choice
1. Which of the following was addressed by ANCSA?
a. Settlement of land claims by Alaskan Natives
b. Lands to be preserved as wilderness, or national interest lands
c. Formation of Native corporations
d. All of the above
2. You must be born on or before __________ to be an Alaskan Native shareholder.
a. January 1, 1991
b. December 18, 1971
c. January 1, 1976
d. December 18, 1991
3. A corporation share is ________________
a. similar to a birth certificate
b. legal title to a portion of land
c. owned only by Alaskan Natives
d. part ownership of a business
4. Alaskan Native leaders went to the ____________ in order to settle land claims..
a. Bureau of Indian Affairs
b. U.S. Congress
c. State government
d. U.S. Court of Claims
5. Alaskan Natives received ___________ dollars from ANCSA.
a. 1.5 billion
b. 962.5 million
c. 50 million
d. 13.6 billion
6. There were approximately ______ village corporations established by ANCSA.
7. You must be ____percent Alaskan Native or considered an Alaskan Native by a Native community in order to be a shareholder.
8. Alaskan Natives received title to __________ acres of land through ANCSA.
a. 962.5 million
b. 200 million
c. 44 million
d. 375 million
9. There are _______ Native regional corporations.
10. The State of Alaska was able to resume selecting a total of acres after ANCSA was passed.
11. What community is not included under the provisions of ANCSA?.
a. 44 million
b. 80 million
c. 103 million
d. 60 million
Place the letter of the answer which most relates to the numbered item.
|___12. Subsection 7 (i)||a. Definitions|
|___13. Subsection 4 (a)||b. Intercorporation revenue or profit sharing|
|___14. Subsection 17 (d) (2)||c. National interest wilderness lands|
|___15. Subsection 21 (d)||d. Native corporate land tax protections|
|___16. Section 3||e. Extinguishment of Native land claims based on aboriginal title|
III. Fill In
Identify three legal documents supporting Native land claims.
IV. Fill In
Identify the five major parties involved in ANCSA legislation
V. True or False
25. Alaskan Natives have received, on the average, about $6,000 as a result of ANCSA.
26. Alaskan Natives, as a group, are the major private landholder in the state of Alaska.
27. The discovery of oil at Prudhoe Bay had an effect on the settlement of Native land claims.
28. Section 7 (i) says that 70 percent of profits may be kept by a regional corporation on timber and subsurface sales, but that 30 percent must be shared among the 12 regional corporations.
29. Rural village job opportunities have significantly increased -as a direct result of ANCSA.
30. The Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act was the largest land claims settlement ever legislated by the U.S. government for any Native American group.
31. Before 1970, the State of Alaska was one of the poorest states.
VI. Fill In
Identify three unresolved "1991" issues facing Alaskan Natives.
VII. Fill In
Identify three options which have been suggested to resolve these issues.
VIII. Fill In
Identify three criterion or standards by which these options can be judged.
IX. Fill In
By what date must these issues be resolved?
41._____________(Month / Day / Year)
Define the following terms:
42. Aboriginal rights/traditional use and occupancy
XI. Essay Questions46. Did Alaskan Natives have a legitimate claim to land in 1971? Support your answer, either pro or con, with evidence.
47. In a three-part essay, (1) identify the problems facing Native corporations; (2) what might happen if these problems are not solved, and (3) suggest some solutions.
48. You are guaranteed points by responding, as directed, to this essay question. In two paragraphs, (1) identify the most important things you have learned from this unit and (2) why this information is important to you.
49. What grade do you believe you should receive for this unit? Why?
XII. Extra Credit
On the map, identify the locations of the 12 regional corporations.