Teaching Unit for Primary Grades K-3
SPECIFIC AIMS OF UNIT
1. To listen to a Tlingit legend about killerwhale.
2. To learn to read a Tlingit legend about the killerwhale.
3. To learn some Tlingit words:
5. To find out what real killerwhales look like.
6. To locate killerwhale design in local area: e.g. totem poles, artifacts in stores, museum, home, etc.
7. To recognize killerwhale design by dorsal fin and sharp teeth.
8. To make a picture of killerwhale design or clay form. Be sure children understand that dorsal fin identifies killerwhale.
9. To play identification game using picture of beach (overhead projector) as review of Tlingit vocabulary developed in aims 3 and 4.
10. To take a field trip to museum to find killerwhale motif.
11. To make a design of killerwhale teeth ________ as used in basket weaving.
12. To look at pictures of killerwhales and other sea life in boods.
13. To plan and execute field trip to nearby beach and collect objects for science corner.
14. To invite interested parents to share with child Tlingit legend,
dance, artifact, etc., at any time during development of unit.